Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I'm entering a YMX's friend - Patti Gibbon's contest for a free registration to a Children's Ministry conference. Prize is awarded by random selection BUT the entry requirement is blogging about my favorite moment or why I am in children's ministry. Others in Children's ministry are welcome to enter as well -- I'll let you. :)

I have to admit when I started out in professional ministry my goal was not children's ministry - it was ministry with teens and youth. To some point I still have that passion but my ministry goals have certainly involved in the past 7.5 years. I currently coordinate ministries for infants on up through young adults and it of course involves working with all ages. 

My favorite part of children's ministry is two fold with one goal in mind. I love it when parents are a strong part of their child's faith journey. I also love it when a child is mentored/encouraged in their faith and life by a variety of adults. In the end parents and other adults combined a child is given an awesome foundation on which their faith in Jesus can grow and stay strong. I love encouraging and inspiring adults - parents, grandparents, aunties,uncles and those who are childless - to mentor and build up the faith of children. 

My favorite moments have been:
- Asking a quite older woman to help out with treats for VBS and challenging her to go the extra length by involving children in the 'snack making' process. She was originally reluctant but she loved it in the end and their were 10 more children who looked up to her as an adult who cared about them.

- The grad student who teaches Sunday school when she is able for preschoolers - jumping in with both feet and having incredible energy to share and get the point across that Jesus loves them. I saw her use their favorite playtoy - the magnet in the class that can potentially draw them away from a lesson - and incorporate it. Creatively showing them she understands what they are interested in and holding their attention for 10 full minutes!

- The 'middle age' men in the church who care enough about the faith of children that they will hang out with even the most difficult children to discipline to share the love of Jesus with them. They really don't have to do this, their children are old enough now that 'someone else' can do it.

- The mothers who bring their children to church - even though the husbands may stay home and sleep. They get the kiddos out of bed, fed - even if it is in the car or at church, may or may not brush their children's hair, and they make this faith thing a priority in their lives. Even if the kids don't seem to care now, they will definitely remember the model of their mothers' lives. I pray for the dad's to become models as well.

This is what inspires me and keeps me going... keeps me encouraging and inspiring others to build up faith in our children and youth.

Peace, ~Leena

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I love your favorite moments. I know these moms. All are such great memories and truly inspiring.